- Temperament Test are scheduled Tuesday through Saturday, beginning at 10am and ending at 12pm. Only 3 new dogs are permitted per day. We cannot accommodate temperament test appointments on Sundays & Mondays or after 12pm.
- Please be on time for your temperament test appointment, as we schedule these very carefully and you may inconvenience other dogs and people if you come in at the incorrect time.
- In order to properly evaluate your dog and to give them a chance to settle in comfortably, we require that your dog stay with us for at least 2 hours on their first day.
Phase 1: Temperament Test
- Your dog will first be introduced to Maebh. Maebh is a 7 year old Cockapoo and is the Resort Adviser & Activities Director at Paws Chateau. Maebh is gentle, inquisitive, and sensitive and respectful of social cues or fearfulness from other dogs.
- Many dogs will immediately be friendly, playful, or neutral with Maebh. For those dogs who may be defensive or fearful, we want to see that they can control themselves in a stimulating situation: air snaps, growling, teeth baring etc, show us that they know how to communicate their boundaries to other dogs without actually harming them. We can work with that to improve comfort levels and social skills.
Phase 2: Behavior Evaluation
- Your dog will then be introduced to the play group slowly, at their speed. Yes, we ask owners to leave once the initial temperament testing is complete. It’s too much pressure and very distracting and stressful for many dogs when they are expected to acclimate to a completely new environment while they know their parents are right outside.
- We monitor new dogs to ensure that they interact with their environment, which can be anything from running to explore and sniff, or a dog who observes intently from a “safe” area. A dog who completely shuts down is too stressed to be able to learn to enjoy daycare. Dogs must also display self-control and good responsiveness with signals from other dogs and human handlers even when at the peak of their excitement and play.
Please complete the form below to schedule your temperament test appointment, or give us a call.